follow me on twitter

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

easy low carb tomato soup

My husband loves tomato soup but the stuff from the can is not only a chemical nightmare but also full of added sugar. I made him some from scratch and he loved it!

Easy HF/LC cream of tomato soup

  • 1 tbsp butter
  • .25 yellow onion
  • 2 cups vegetable stock
  • .5 cup organic crushed tomatoes, drained (or good marinara sauce)
  • .25 cup heavy cream
  • salt, pepper, spices to taste

    Melt butter in the bottom of a 2 qt sauce pan. Add chopped onion. I added salt, cayenne pepper (just a dash), and basil to the onions as they browned. Cook until translucent.

    Add stock and bring to a boil for a few minutes. Add tomatoes. Reduce heat to simmer.

    With an immersion blender (stick blender) blend until smooth, making sure to get all of the onion. With the blender running, slowly add the heavy cream.

    Switch to stirring with a spoon. Taste and season until you get it where you want it. That’s it.

    Serves two. 200 cal, 7 g carb, 18 g fat, 3 g pro per serving.

    Tomatoes are carb-y. You can make cream of whatever following this same basic formula (without tomatoes the soup base has 3 g carb per serving). Recently I made cream of asparagus soup, subbing leftover asparagus for the tomatoes. Also it works with spinach, broccoli, mushrooms, or whatever I have on hand.

    For variety I change up the spices. When I made cream of asparagus I added curry and cumin. When I made cream of mushroom I added thyme and tarragon. Garlic goes with everything. I always use salt and cayenne in the soup base.

    Our friend is a gifted chef; almost everything I make is "pretty good but not as good as..." in my son's opinion. When he tried the tomato soup he said, “wow, I can’t believe you made this!” That's a complement.

  • 2 comments:

    1. Awesome post! I've been wanting to try making some cream of veggie soups so this is a great starting point for me with spices and ideas.

      What kind of veggie stock did you buy- is there a sugar-free option out there? I have chicken stock at home (purchased at Trader Joe's), but it sugar added, yargh.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Pacific organic vegetable stock doesn't have sugar. Or you can just use bouillon cubes.

      ReplyDelete