follow me on twitter

Monday, February 11, 2013

Recipe: refined balls

This is the revised recipe for my bento box balls:

  • 2 tbsp of peanut butter
  • 2 scant tbsp of coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp whey protein powder
  • 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

    Blend room temp coconut oil and cold PB (I keep mine in the fridge) with whey until a soft dough forms. Shape into 6 balls, and roll in coconut. I keep them in the freezer until it's time to throw them in my gym bag.

    My favorite whey is the generic whole foods “everyday 365” brand vanilla whey since it has no added sugar and no artificial sweeteners.

    I am almost certain in the summer I will have to switch to 3 tbsp peanut butter and 1 tbsp coconut oil in order for the balls not to melt in the heat. But for now this is working.

    Shared with my friend between back-to-back swim workouts this morning and she liked my balls! She has a sensitive stomach and had no GI issues. We both agreed the balls carried us through workout #2 quite nicely.

    I going to try cashew butter balls for my husband who hates peanut butter (who hates peanut butter???). He also hates coconut so I may roll his in cocoa. I’ll update when I give it a go.

    On a side note, today was my longest swim yet post surgery. Yay!

  • 2 comments: