follow me on twitter

Monday, February 17, 2014

easy low carb Tom Kha soup

Easy Tom Kha Soup
This soup came together quickly. Traditional Tom Kha soup calls for lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves but I didn't have them on hand; this soup still had a nice flavor regardless. My husband was surprised I made it from scratch while he was out shoveling our sidewalks. This could easily be vegan by subbing vegetable broth and tofu.

1 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1 or 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and sliced
1 can coconut milk
2 cups chicken broth
1 chicken thigh, cooked and chopped
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
pinch of cayenne pepper (or to taste)
dash of powdered ginger
one green onion chopped
handful of fresh cilantro, chopped

Brown onions and mushrooms in coconut oil in bottom of soup pan. Add broth and coconut milk. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Add jalapeño and chicken. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Season to taste. Toss in green onion and cilantro just before serving. 

This made two satisfying dinner-sized portions. I would have served with lime wedges had I had any.

1 comment: